Litigation & Special Experience
How RME Leverages Agility & Flexibility To Approach Unconventional Problems
We relish and excel at projects that are atypical. These projects are those in which the big firm approach of loading junior staff with billable hours and standard procedures leads to last minute re-works, blown budgets, and errors. Because we are smaller than big firms but have equivalent depth in senior partner experience, we can execute where they cannot. Our senior staff does the preponderance of the work on these projects. A sampling of our special project experience includes the following:
- RME Senior Partner David Weeks has served as expert witness in litigations involving worker and community exposure to hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen chloride, chlorine, organic chemicals, and biological contaminants. He evaluated release characteristics and ambient air monitoring data, and prepared dispersion models to define exposures. Based on the magnitude and route of the exposures he identified potential health effects or lack thereof. He has prepared expert reports, testified in deposition and special hearings, and advised attorneys on issues associated with opposing experts.
- RME prepared emission rate estimates at a PCB manufacturing plant that operated since the 1930's, modeled the deposition of emissions, and estimated resulting soil concentrations in order to facilitate the planning of soil sampling investigations.
- RME advised a group of industrial facilities located in the same community on technical issues related to a health consultation assessment performed by ATSDR. RME reviewed planning documents published by ATSDR and prepared technical comments on behalf of industrial clients.
- RME supported USEPA in the training of state regulatory agencies charged with permitting and enforcing environmental regulations at chemical warfare destruction and radioactive waste treatment facilities.
- RME has prepared process safety management plans for facilities that use extremely hazardous substances in their processes and supported clients in inspections by OSHA and EPA of the resulting planning documents.
- RME has measured exposures to heavy metals and noise at industrial facilities and advised clients on the need for corrective action or lack thereof.